November 12, 2015

DETECTIVE BOOGALOO: HIP HOP COP DAILY | WELCOME TO BLING CITY


DOSSIER NOTES:
(Behind the Jump)





From the original webcomic, I believe this is the only original page I don't have, remembering I sold it to one of my famous webcomic pals because I needed to pay my electric bill, several years ago.

One thing that I was especially happy about that was lacking in the original strip was that I had to cut Boogaloo's badge off in the panel because I needed to fit in text. I wanted to make sure that it was prominent and full flush. Addition of little graffiti flourishes on the badge (the graf arrows) would hopefully inform those paying attention that this was a different universe than you were used to seeing.

Another big marker is that I kept the strip frozen in the original time period--2002, where we reference that major bad guy ICE TRE' has a distinct look that is familiar with the rapper archetype of that era of hip hop.

ICE TRE's gold ice tray medallion was a pretty on-the-nose pun, but also a great 'tell' to his powers, that we'll see later.  I remember being asked if we'd ever see him topping off someone's drink with cubes from his medallion--nope, he's way too mean to ever care if you need to freshen your drink.


No comments: